Thursday, August 23, 2007

Why We Debunk

This was left in our comments section by Lucus, and it's such a sad story that I felt compelled to promote it to the front page:

Hello Everyone,

In total regret, I wanted to inform you all that I can no longer do what I have been doing. I wanted to send this to all of you because I did not want a bunch of rumors floating around about why nobody is going to be seeing my around. I was not “taken out” or “bought off” or “forced by anyone” to do this.

I am a busted guy right now. I am broke, stuck in the middle of no place without a car/license and can’t seem to find a job right now. I owe $1500 before I am allowed to get my license back which leaves me in kind of a weird situation. Without a license/car I can’t get a job, and without a Job I can’t afford to get my license back. Not only that but I have no health insurance and my knee is in bad shape so I am very limited at what I can do right now.

I brought all this on myself. Before I went full blast on 911 truth, I had a career at a place I loved to work on the beach in Corpus Christi, Texas. I had a beautiful fiancé that I was supposed to marry on March 17th who I had been with for 7 years. I left her on Jan 1st of this year because I did not want the powers that be coming down on her for something I was doing. She was trying to finish school and I did not want to do anything to ruin that. To my great and utter regret she has now met someone else and is moving on without me which was the final nail in my coffin. That has hurt me in ways I can’t even express right now.

I made The Ultimate Con as a gift to you, my country, our people, and the world. I felt somehow responsible as a part of society that let this tragic day of 9/11 happen by being complacent. I am not the kind of person that can find out about something like this and let it pass. I just don’t have it in my heart to do so.

I wish I could go on, but I have been beaten down. I don’t know what I am going to do to get out of this jam, but I must do something. I am on the verge of total oblivion at this point and if it was not for the grace of God and my cat I don’t know how I would have made it this far.

I want to thank everyone for the tremendous moral support they have given me through all this. I can actually go to my grave someday knowing that I tried my damnedest to help people understand what is going on in this world. If I could do it all over again I would have done it a little differently. I would not have left Vanessa, my soul mate, the love of my life, the fine beautiful lady I was going to call my wife. I will regret that every day until the day I die.

Please keep up this battle without me. Don’t make the same mistakes I have made by concentrating so much effort into fighting these evil bastards that you leave behind the ones you love and care about. I have slept alone, and on the cold floor of a friends house for 9 months now regretting that stupid choice I made. There is nothing I can do to change that, and I see that now. Don’t let them destroy the finer things you have in your life, as I have so stupidly done. I have given up eve...

(Cut off by Haloscan's 1000 character limit)

This, more than anything else, is why we debunk; to prevent another person from going down that road that Lucus has traveled, particularly the younger people who are reading this blog and intrigued by the 9-11 conspiracy theories. You will never get anything out of 9-11 activism other than worn out shoes and a bunch of black tee shirts; it's a one-way ticket to oblivion. Don't become one of those guys setting up a card table shrine to Alex Jones and Dylan Avery and Webster Tarpley.

Please, no snarky comments about Lucus. He's a man who made a mistake. It can be tough remembering that there are two different types of "Truthers"; the conmen at the top of the pyramid and the True Believers.

Update: And those chastising Troy for his admittedly unkind emails to Lucus should check out what one of the admins at the LC Forum wrote after one of the members over there donated/loaned $2,000 to Lucus:

Wow LUCUS! It is truly remarkable that a kind stranger (here since June) would donate two thousand dollars to you, the formidable infowarrior you are, especially when the likes of wearechange have trouble scraping up a few dollars for their important historic endeavors.

This should serve as a reminder to you to be the utmost appreciative, because this person gave/loaned you the money as a reminder that you, the venerable LUCUS are truly at the epicenter of this battle for truth.... dude you are the truth movement incarnate! [/sarcasm]


Note: I am not criticizing Troy for his emails; I know the abuse that gets heaped on both sides of this debate but don't know the history between those two.